Pilot Training and Tools Add to Flight Safety
FlightOS, developed by Los Angeles-based aerospace startup Skyryse, is a groundbreaking new system that can automate most actions taken by a helicopter pilot. This fly-by-wire hardware and software system is designed to increase interoperability across different aircraft and safely manage the helicopter through emergency situations and even adverse weather conditions. It can even make pilot trianing smoother and easier.
Picture flying VFR on a dark, moonless night with no reference to the horizon–what could go wrong? But with FlightOS, you can simply push a button that will keep the helicopter upright until you can regain your bearings.
The system’s usefulness was recently showcased by 70-year-old U.S. Representative Julia Brownley (D-Calif). With no prior experience as a pilot, she was able to fly a helicopter on her own within minutes with the help of the FlightOS system.
The Significance of Helicopter Flight Training
While new operating systems make helicopter pilots training simpler and easier for pilots, there are a lot of benefits to pilot training in general.
Fundamental Concepts and Skills
- Aerodynamics and helicopter flight principles, which give pilots an understanding of how the helicopter is able to fly and the forces involved.
- Basic flight controls, including the cyclic, collective, and anti-torque pedals, allow pilots to maneuver the helicopter in the air.
- Advanced maneuvers such as autorotation and recovery from emergencies (engine failure, tail rotor malfunctions, settling with power, etc.), which enable pilots to respond in emergency situations and prevent accidents.
Proper Helicopter Training
- Safety: Proper training ensures that pilots acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to operate helicopters safely in different weather conditions and environments. With enhanced skills, pilots are less likely to make errors that may lead to accidents or incidents.
- Cost-Effective: Thorough helicopter training leads to a more efficient use of resources and helps organizations achieve their mission or goals at a lower cost. Pilots who have had proper training require less oversight and guidance from ground personnel, which allows organizations to save time and resources.
- Enhanced Reputation: Organizations that have pilots who underwent thorough helicopter training have an advantage over competitors with inferior training programs. The training provides individuals and organizations with a clear competitive advantage, enhancing their reputation within the industry.
Long-Term Benefits of Helicopter Training
- More Opportunities: With proper helicopter training, individuals have access to a wide range of opportunities in the field of aviation. Helicopter pilots are in high demand in a variety of industries like medical services, tourism, transportation, search and rescue, law enforcement, and more.
- Enhanced Skills: Thorough helicopter training enables pilots to have a deeper understanding of how different conditions can affect the helicopter’s performance, allowing them to make sound decisions in the long run. It also improves their overall flight technique, which can result in more precise and comfortable flying.
- Reduced Risk: Helicopter training gives organizations the ability to have pilots who can operate in increasingly complex and challenging environments, which ultimately reduces risk. By investing in training programs, organizations ensure that they have the most qualified and capable pilots at their disposal.
Helicopter flight training is crucial for individuals and organizations seeking to achieve success in the aviation industry. It provides pilots with the necessary skills and knowledge to operate helicopters safely, efficiently, and effectively. A comprehensive helicopter training program is a valuable investment that can bring long-term benefits, ensuring that organizations have qualified and capable pilots who can confidently perform their duties.
Automated systems can greatly enhance the safety of even experienced, competent pilots who may temporarily need assistance in challenging conditions. Helicopters are notoriously difficult to fly, so any added safety feature is welcome. While professional pilot training is essential, an automated system like FlightOS can take safety to an even higher level.